The Americans with Disabilities Act is a Federal civil rights law that prohibits the exclusion of people with disabilities from everyday activities, such as enjoying a meal at a restaurant. For additional information regarding wheelchair accessibility compliance, you can refer to the ADA, the Americans with Disabilities Act website.
- 5% of all tables (dining, banquet and bar), or at least 1 (if less than 20 tables), must be wheelchair accessible. NOTE: If you have a bar or outdoor area in your restaurant, it must be counted separately, in the same way.
- If it is not readily achievable to provide the minimal number of accessible tables in all areas where fixed tables are provided, then services must be provided in another accessible location. NOTE: Alternative locations must be available for all customers and not just people with disabilities. It is illegal to segregate people with disabilities in one area by designating it as an accessible area to be used only by people with disabilities.
ADA compliant tables must met the following criteria:
- A surface height of no less than 28" and no more than 34" above the floor.
- A minimum knee clearance of 27" (preferred knee clearance is 29" to accommodate larger electric wheelchairs) between the floor and the underside of the table.
- A clear floor area of 30" x 48" is provided at each accessible seating location
- Knee clearance extends at least 19" under the table.
Oak Street Manufacturing has a variety of high-quality table base options to ensure ADA compliance. Bolt down table bases, Cantilever wall mount table bases & T-bases are the best options. These table bases offer a small footprint & allow you to meet ADA compliance without using excessively large table tops.
Bolt down table bases work well when you don't want to have a table against a wall & want the flexibility to switch between using chairs or making space for wheelchair accessibility.
Bolt down table bases have a small plate welded to the bottom of the tube, which is anchored to the floor & covered with a small dust cover. Bolt down table bases have a footprint of approximately 8" - 11" in diameter.
NOTE: Bolt down table bases shouldn't be spaced more than 36" apart.
Cantilever wall mount table bases are a great option because they use little to no floor space (depending on the size).
- Our 21" Cantilever wall mount table base (Part #: CANTILEVER-21) accommodates table sizes up to 30".
- Our 27.5" Cantilever wall mount table base* (Part #: CANTILEVER-27.5) accommodates table sizes 30" to 48" without the use of a pin leg or up to 96", but requires installing pin leg(s) (SSB-PIN)
* - Requires special wall construction
T-bases use little space & are simple to install. Our T-bases are constructed of stamped steel for unparalleled strength & stability.
IMPORTANT: Ensure your table size can accommodate a minimum floor space of 30" between the two T-bases to maintain ADA compliance.
ADA compliant 5" x 22" T-bases available with 3" ADA standard height tube (Part #: B522-ADA).